Hello All

At the recent meeting of the RMS - Local Government Group it was agreed to
commence a project to create a generic local authority classification
scheme. The first meeting of the project team has been arranged for the
21st August at Westminster Archives to, principally, create a scoping
document to justify to our employers the time off our normal work that will
be involved!

The purpose of this email is to invite expressions of interest in joining
the project team. As an indication of the time that may be required: the
Retention Guidelines project took participants about 5 meetings and 5 days
working back in their respective authorities.

If anyone would like to join the project team please contact me
([log in to unmask]), alternatively, if anyone has any general thoughts
on classifcation schemes please post to the list. We would also be very
interested to see any schemes anyone might be brave enough to post to this
list's file area ( http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/files/RECORDS-MANAGEMENT-UK/ ).

Some of the issues that could be included in the first meeting include;
- Scope of project (number of levels in the scheme, extent - cover both
hard copy and electronic format information?)
- Starting point/points (Herts CC, APLAWS, GCL, KAAA)
- Communication method (via the List or by a group email)
- Justification (why create one, what are the expected outputs)
- Format of meetings (frequency, length, lunch provided or not)
- Division of labour
- Timescales involved (Tony May has suggested the following time schedule;
     # Aug03 Scoping of task
     # Aug03-Mar04 Development of classification scheme
     # Apr04 Testing within authorities
     # May04-Jul04 Consultation
     # Aug04 Publish

I look forward to hearing from you,