To call Christina's experience a "cataleptic fit" takes liberties with
Thomas of Cantimpré's account of her life.  He says that she died and on
the next day, as the requiem mass was being said over her, she came back to
life.  See the translation of Thomas's The Life of Christina the
Astonishing by Margot H. King (Peregrina Publishing Co, 1999), ch. 5, p.
18, where her disgust for the smell of human bodies is also recorded.

Steve Fanning

>Today (24. July) is the feast day of:
>
>Christina the Astonishing (blessed) (d. 1224)  Christina with the really
>great nickname was born near Liege in 1150.  In 1182 she had a cataleptic
>fit, which set off a series of incredible mystical phenomenathat lasted
>the rest of her life.
>
>[One of my favorite tales. My recollection is that Christina was so
>disgusted by the smell of human flesh that she levitated to the roof beams
>of the church. --TLL]

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]