In a message dated 26/7/2003 21:50:34, [log in to unmask] writes:

<< Does anyone have any ideas ? Is Saint Restitutus history, myth or clerical

error ... ? >>

A Restitutus (or Restutus) was bishop of Carthage in the mid-fourth century,
but not much is known about him, not even the beginning and end years of his
episcopate. He played an active part in the council of Ariminum (359) and the
meeting at Nike in Thrace at which a delegation of pro-Nicene bishops
capitulated to pressure from the emperor Constantius II to agree to a homoian credal
formula. He is mentioned by Hilary of Poitiers (who preserves a letter by him)
and some other fourth-century authors. My guess would be that legends grew up
in the early middle ages that made him a martyr for the Nicene faith against
Arianism or (in an African context) for Catholicism against Donatism. A
dictionary of the early church will provide more information - but not much more.

Graham Gould

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]