Dear Cecilia,

I hope that your summer is going well.  As usual, too many research
projects are afoot here, complicated by the endless distractions of home
ownership.

I have finally located the Achan (Achor) references from James of
Vitry's letters on the Fifth Crusade.  The citations are from the first
edition by R. B. C. Huygens.   They are in reference to the retention of
loot and sinfulness of the army after the capture of Damietta and the
letters were sent to parties organizing the crusade in Europe
(potentially used by crusade preachers and thus a wider audience).  The
ease of the reference could be taken as an indication of its commonplace
nature.  Certainly Louis must have had the problems of the previous
expedition in mind when planning his own assault upon Damietta.

Anyway, for what it is worth, here they are.  Letter 6, p. 127 and
Letter 7, pp. 134-5.  I suspect that J's compatriot, Oliver of Paderborn
used similar imagery in his Historia Damiatina, which was widely
disseminated almost immediately after the denouement of the Fifth
Crusade (partly b/c O and J were involved in preparations for Frederick
II's delayed crusade).  When I come across those specific references, I
will send them along.

There is also an interesting article "Application of Theology to Current
Affairs: Memorial Sermons on the Dead of Mansurah and on Innocent IV,"
P. Cole, D. L. d'Avray and J. Riley-Smith in _Modern Questions about
Medieval Sermons_, ed. N. Beriou and D. L. d'Avray, (Centro Italiano di
Studi sull'Alto Medioevo, Spoleto, 1994) pp. 217-46.  It deals with
sermons on the disaster at Mansurah, preached by Odo of Chateauroux,
perhaps while Louis was still in the East.  Tons of OT imagery in
these!

Sincerely,

Jessalynn

to: [log in to unmask]