Bless you Phyllis.  What a resource you are.  But I still have a problem,
since the incipit of the sermon: is exaltavi electum de plebe mea (Ps
88.20), in hiis verbis psalmus ad laudem beati landrici regis et
confessoris tria notatur scilicet dei erga beatum land[dricum?]
specialiter benignitas cum dicit exaltavi...

So it appears this guy was a king and confessor.  (Which is why, I'm sure,
Schneyer assumed it was Louis - the hand is dreadful)

cecilia

On Mon, 28 Jul 2003, Phyllis Jestice wrote:

> I've come up with three alternatives:
> Landeric (Landry) of Meaux, a 7th-century bishop of Meaux and then abbot of
> Soignies (feast day Apr 17)
>
> Landeric of Novalese (d. c. 1050) A parish priest of Savoy, then
> Benedictine monk at Novalese, drowned in a river by some guys he
> reprimanded (feast day June 10)
>
> Landeric of Paris, a bishop of Paris who died in c. 661, founder of the
> first Hotel-Dieu in Paris (feast day also June 10)
>
> For people who have occasion to look up obscure saints, I recommend The
> Book of Saints, edited by Basil Watkins, 7th ed.  It has about 10,000
> saints in it.  I weeded out the ones with the label "nothing is known about
> this saint" when I made an index by date for myself, and that still left me
> with a list of 6,790.  While Farmer's Oxford Dictionary os Saints is quite
> wonderful for the British Isles, his coverage of the rest of the world is a
> great deal lighter, only hitting the "big names."
>
> Phyllis
>
> >medieval-religion: Scholarly discussions of medieval religion and culture
> >
> >Dear All,
> >
> >I am hoping the collective expertise of this list might be able to solve a
> >problem for me.  In Schneyer's Repertorium he lists a certain sermon by
> >John of Essone in BNF Lat 16499, fols 194v-195v to Louis IX.  The hand is
> >quite messy. The saint is NOT, however, Louis (Ludovicus), but another
> >saint, whom I can't identify.
> >
> >The saint is called somethign like LANDRICUS. The scribe/author
> >consistently abbreviates his name.  Lad'ci / Lad'cus / Lad'9 (=us), etc.,
> >depending upon the part of speech.  In all cases the "a" comes with a
> >suspension over it.  So, something like Landricus, or Landercus. But I
> >cannot place such a saint; having perused through the Oxford dictionary of
> >saints, and the like.
> >
> >If any body is inspired as to whom this might be, I would be quite
> >grateful.
> >
> >thanks in advance,
> >Cecilia Gaposchkin
> >
> >**********************************************************************
> >To join the list, send the message: join medieval-religion YOUR NAME
> >to: [log in to unmask]
> >To send a message to the list, address it to:
> >To leave the list, send the message: leave medieval-religion
> >to: [log in to unmask]
> >In order to report problems or to contact the list's owners, write to:
> >For further information, visit our web site:
> >http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/medieval-religion.html
>
> Dr. Phyllis G. Jestice

> to: [log in to unmask]
> to: [log in to unmask]