Today (28. July) is the feast day of:

Nazarius and Celsus (d. c. 68?)  Although supported by no less a figure
than St. Ambrose, the cult of N and C was confined to local calendars in
1969.  Legend tells that they were beheaded at Milan in Nero's reign.
Ambrose conducted a search for their relics, enshrining them when they were
discovered in 395.

Innocent I (d. 417)  It's nice to know that pope-saints weren't excluded
from the great calendar purge of 1969.  Innocent I was one of the victims.
He succeeded his father (Anastasius I) as pope in 402, and was the pope who
got to cope with the sack of Rome in 410.  It is also known that he
supported the African church's stand against Pelagianism and supported John
Chrysostom when he was deposed.

Samson of Dole (or of Caldey) (d. c. 565)  Samson was a native of Wales.
He became a monk and then abbot of the monastery on Caldey Island.  But
then he visited Ireland, after which St. Dubricius consecrated him as a
missionary bishop.  S. then worked in both Cornwall and Brittany.

Arduin of Trepino (7th cent.?)  Arduin is the patron saint of Ceprano
(eastern Lazio).  Legend reports that he was a Saxon pilgrim, one of four
who died in the region.

Botvid (d. 1100)  Botvid was a Swede.  He converted to Christianity while
on a visit to England, and became a missionary when he got home again.  He
was murdered by one of his own slaves, a Finn he had bought and was
instructing in Christianity (and who apparently resented it).

Antonio della Chiesa (d. 1459) (blessed)  Antonio was the scion of a noble
family from the vicinity of Vercelli.  He became a Dominican, and in time
prior of several friaries.  He was Bernardino of Siena's helper in his
preaching mission to Italy.

Dr. Phyllis G. Jestice

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]