I seem to remember long ago reading that in late
patristic literature (loosely defined as from c.
250-500 for the purposes of this question) Hercules
and Mercury were read as pagan types of
Christ--Hercules for his labors and his "harrowing" of
Hades, particularly Cerebus, and Mercury because he
was the guide of souls to Hades and had the most
concourse between the gods and men.  These were then
reinterpreted as "God's truth" among the pagans,
though the pagans twisted it and misunderstood it.

HOWEVER, now that it comes to finding it, I discover
that in none of my secondary sources here or in the
primary sources I've been to check, am I able to find
such an equation or reading.  Did I imagine the whole
thing?  Anyone have any ideas?

Larry Swain
UIC