Francis,

I was interested to see the Ec. Atlas of Ontario.  If you look at the contributors closely you may notice a certain young postgrad mentioned - my first paying job in my new country in 1964!

So, if you get no reasonable offers I would dearly love reacquire a copy - I gave my water stained one to a small university library years ago when I had little storage space!

Regards,

iain taylor

[log in to unmask] wrote:

Following the original listing posted on 11 July here is an amended version (for those who were on leave before, or who have not had time to check their holdings), that includes an additional atlas.  Note that one copy of the 'National atlas of Hungary' is still available

The atlases listed below are duplicate to our requirements; they come from a British cartographic publishing house and are, with its permission, made available free to other map collections. Naturally, we would - in our current situation of Map Room and Picture Library staff crowded into bits of the Society's Library space - be anxious to have them claimed as soon as possible.

WORLD

Atlas der Oberflächenformen : Sonderdrucke aus dem 'Bertelsmann Atlas International' / Edition Kartographisches Institut Bertelsmann ; Leitung [und Gesamtplanung]: Dr W. Bormann. - Scales differ. - Stuttgart : Reise- und Verkehrensverlag, 1963. - c. 120 col. maps on 62 leaves of plates (loose) ; in portfolio 43 cm. - This exemplar lacks 92-93 'USA, Mittelamerika' (with inset of Panama Canal). - Maps are chiefly - as title suggests - relief and drainage (ungraticulated) only, but political and thematic plates also present

EUROPE

Atlas östliches Mitteleuropa / herausg. von Th. Kraus, E. Meynen, H. Mortensen, H. Schlenger. - Bielefeld [etc.] : Velhagen & Klasing, 1959. - [vi],19p., 68 leaves of plates (some fold., chiefly col. maps), 12p. of plates (b&w photographs) + 4 leaves (fold., of col. maps) in end pocket; 56 cm + 'Atlas of central Europe : legends in English = Atlas des regions de l'est de l'Europe centrale : légendes en français' ([vii],[136]p.; 56 x 18 cm)

Suomen kartasto = Atlas of Finland = Atlas över Finland 1960 / Geographical Society of Finland ; Department of Geography, Helsinki University ; [editor: Leo Aario]. - Helsinki : Kustannusosakeyhtiö Otava, [1961]. - [xii]p., 39 leaves (1 fold.) of plates : chiefly col. maps ; 46 cm

National atlas of Hungary / [prepared with the co-operation of the Geographical Committee of the Hungarian Academy of Sciences; editor in Chief: Sándor Radó]. - Budapest : 'Cartographia', 1967. - 112p. : chiefly col. maps ; 42 cm + 'Administrative map of the Hungarian People's Republic' (1:500K) as 'Supplement to the National Atlas of Hungary' (fold., in end pocket)

Atlante fisico economico d'Italia : 82 tavole, 508 carte / di Giotto Dainelli. - Milano : Consociazione Turistica Italiana, 1940. - xix p., 82 leaves of plates (chiefly col. maps ; 49 cm. - © novembre 1939

ASIA

Atlas of Israel : cartography, physical geography, human and economic geography, history / [edited, drawn and printed by Survey of Israel]. - 2nd ed. - Jerusalem : Survey of Israel ; Amsterdam : Elsevier, 1970. - [viii]p., lots of other un-numbered pages with lots of maps (chiefly col.) ; 49 cm

 AFRICA

Ghana population atlas : the distribution and density of population in the Gold Coast and Togoland under United Kingdom Trusteeship / T.E. Hilton. - Edinburgh : T. Nelson for University College of Ghana, 1960. - 40p. : ill., maps (some col.) ; 41 cm

Atlas of Kenya : a comprehensive series of new and authentic maps . . . with gazetteer and notes on pronunciation & spelling. - 1st ed. 1959 / compiled, drawn & printed by The Survey of Kenya. - Nairobi : Surbey of Kenya, 1959. - [i],iv leaves, 45 leaves of plates (chiefly col. maps), leaves vii - ix ; 46 x 48 cm. - Some leaves with text on verso

Atlas of Sierra Leone. - 2nd ed. / compiled by Surveys & Lands Division, Sierra Leone. - London : Edward Stanford (George Philip Printers), 1966. - [iii]p., 16p. (chiefly col. maps), iv p. ; 39 cm

Atlas of Uganda / Department of Lands and Surveys, Uganda. - 1st ed. - [Entebbe :] Department of Lands and Surveys, 1962. - [i] leaf, 83p. : ill., maps (some col.), fig. ;

50 x 53 cm

Rhodesia : its natural resources and economic development / [M.O. Collins, Editor]. - Salisbury [i.e. Harare] : M.O. Collins (Pvt.), 1965. - [ii],52p. (some fold.) : ill., maps (chiefly col.), fig. ; 38 x 44 cm

AMERICAS

Atlas of Alberta / [compiled by the Department of Geography, the University of Alberta]. - Edmonton : University of Alberta Press in association with the University of Toronto Press, 1969. - [xii]p., 158p. of plates : maps (chiefly col.), fig., [4]p. ind. ; 45 cm

Economic atlas of Ontario = Atlas économique de l'Ontario / W.G. Dean, Editor ; G.J. Matthews, Cartographer. - 1st ed. June 1969. - Toronto : University of Toronto Press for the Government of Ontario, 1969. - [xxv]p., 113 leaves (some fold.) of plates (chiefly col. maps) ; 47 cm. - In E & F. - [I]SBN [0]-8020-3235-4

Francis Herbert (Curator of Maps, RGS-IBG)

http://www.rgs.org [see 'Collections'/'Unlocking the Archives']