For information,

John

                                            EQO Letter

 Project Number 2003-0005 / 001 - 001 EDU-ELEARN

 Issue N° 1, Summer (09/07/2003)

Editor's Corner
1. You are welcome!

EQO News
2. Our goals
3. What can we do for you?
4. Collecting quality approaches and standards
5. Our EQO - workplan

EQO-Partners
6. Introducing the EQO partners: A sustainable network

EQO-Events
7. Meet EQO at the ICALT-Conference in Athens
8. Other events

Editor's Corner

1. You are welcome!

Welcome to the first newsletter of the European Quality Observatory (EQO), a research project funded by the European Commission.
If you are interested in the subject of e-learning and you ask yourself how you can recognise the quality of an e-learning application, it is worthwhile to follow up the progress of this project. We invite you to do so and become part of a comprehensive quality consortium of e-learning producers, researchers, journalists and decision makers - both in industry and policy - all over Europe. In addition to that you will also have the chance to gain access to our quality tools which can help you to choose the best quality approach for your specific purposes for quality development in computer supported e-learning programs and blended learning solutions.

In this first newsletter we will introduce you to the project and its partners.

You are welcome!

Dr. Jan Pawlowski

EQO News

2. Our Goals

In short: The European Quality Observatory (EQO) deals with all matters of quality in e-learning on a European level.
This includes collecting and structuring of quality approaches in E-Learning, establishing a European quality community as well as the co-operation in development of new standards and norms.
Our first goal for you however is promoting the use of quality approaches to make education a high quality experience!
You will find our goals in particular at:
http://www.eqo.info

3. What can we do for you?

Our goal is to serve your needs in quality development. EQO addresses users of quality approaches, that are e.g. decision makers in industry, headmasters in schools, in general quality developers in all spheres of education who want to develop quality in their area. EQO acts as a services provider for all of them and wants to facilitate and promote the quality of e-learning throughout Europe. We are aware that this is a huge task - and therefore have gathered high potential partners to face this challenge.

In November 2004, after conclusion of this project you will find an extensive and useful database at your disposal, which contains analysed and structured quality approaches for quality management (QM), quality assurance (QA), and quality assessment (QS). A first prototype is scheduled to be launched at the Online Educa in Berlin in December 2003. We invite you to take part! Sent a mail to register for our virtual launch event: [log in to unmask]

First conceptual work is done. We want to invite you to take part in the discussion at this early stage already:

1. Have a look at the bases for our future work: The EQO Conceptual Model which is right now discussed on an international level in presentations and seminars with both practitioners and policy makers. Your comments are very welcome as well! You will find the explanation of the Conceptual Model on our website.

2. We also need your input. After launching our quality internet portal we will ask actors in education to contribute their quality approaches to our repository. You will then have access to a growing data pool of quality experiences and approaches. If you are a user of quality in education we want to invite you to become an EQO-associated partner:

As an associated partner we keep you up-to-date about all developments in European quality development, you take part in project discussions and we also support you in quality development.

You are interested? Please refer to http://www.eqo.info
or write a message to [log in to unmask]

Very soon we will offer an application form for EQO-cooperations on the website.

4. Collecting quality approaches and standards

As we will start soon with our collection of quality approaches of e-learning, we present a challenge to you:
Present your quality approach to a European Community of practice and gain the chance to become part of the European quality discussion. If you contribute your ideas to the EQO repository you are already part of the discussion because we are the starting point of a comprehensive quality network in Europe, co-operating with all European quality education initiatives.

We are looking for your experiences and approaches to quality in e-learning and education in general. Among others, we are searching for:
* Checklists and criteria for decision makers, which facilitates the choice and/or implementation of e-learning in all educational sectors or the industry.
* Certificates for learning software and including the criteria
* National norms and standards to achieve an appropriate quality management (QM), quality assurance (QA) and quality assessment (QS).
* Local, regional and national quality approaches for e-learning.
* Your experiences in implementing quality approaches.

If you want to contribute or have questions about becoming an EQO associated partner please contact Ulf Ehlers, University Duisburg-Essen ([log in to unmask]).

5. Our EQO-workplan

At present the EQO-partners create a conceptual model to systematise quality approaches. At the end of the project an internet based database of quality approaches in e-learning will be published. The first prototype of our internet information portal will be launched on the Online Educa. We invite you to take part in the virtual launch event. Register for that at our website.
Further workitems and more about our plans you will find on our website http://www.eqo.info.

The EQO-Partners

6. Introducing the EQO Partners: A sustainable network

Since February 2003 the following project consortium is working for the project EQO:

Universität Duisburg-Essen, Essen, Germany (consortial leader)[UE1]
FB5 / Wirtschaftsinformatik
Contact: Ulf Ehlers ([log in to unmask])
http://elm.wi-inf.uni-essen.de

European Schoolnet, Brussels, Belgium
The European Schoolnet is a unique international partnership of 26 Ministries of Education developing learning for schools, teachers and pupils across Europe and beyond.
Contact: Frans van Assche ([log in to unmask])
http://www.eun.org

MMB Institut für Medien- und Kompetenzforschung, Essen, Germany
A research institute concerned with qualification, e-learning and media.
Contact: Lutz Goertz ([log in to unmask])
http://www.mmb-institut.de

CERTH - The Centre for Research and Technology Hellas, Thermi, Thessaloniki, Greece
CERTH´s mission is to carry out basic and applied research with special emphasis in exploiting research results and developing new products and services with industrial, economic and social impact.
Contact: Demetrios Sampson ([log in to unmask])
http://www.certh.gr

Ecole nationale des ponts et chaussées, Marne-la-Vallée Cedex, France
A higher education institution at the master and PhD level, specialized in engineering (civil engineering, industrial engineering, financial engineering etc.).
Contact: Amaury Legait ([log in to unmask])
http://www.enpc.fr

CEDEFOP, Thessaloniki (Pylea), Greece
The European agency that helps policy-makers and practitioners of the European Commission, the Member States and social partner organisations across Europe make informed choices about vocational training policy.
Contact: Marc Willem ([log in to unmask])
http://www.cedefop.eu.int/

In the following newsletters you will find more details about the partners.

EQO-Events

7. Meet EQO at the ICALT-Conference in Athens

This year EQO will be part of one of the most important international conferences for learning technologies. The 3rd IEEE International Conference on Advanced Learning Technologies (ICALT 2003) intends to bring together academics, researchers and industry practitioners who are involved or interested in the design and development of advanced and emerging learning technologies with the ultimate aim to empower individuals and organisations in building competencies for exploiting the opportunities of the knowledge society.
During the ICALT EQO will host a workshop on quality management in education and will thus discuss the project ideas with relevant actors of quality development.

3rd IEEE International Conference on Advanced Learning Technologies July 9-11, 2003, Athens, Greece

Besides the interesting presentations you can also meet the EQO partners there.

Link to the ICALT-Conference:
http://lttf.ieee.org/icalt2003/

8. Other events

3.-5.12.2003
Online-Educa Berlin (http://www.online-educa.com/en/)
15.-16.07.2004
EQO-Conference in Essen (Uni Duisburg-Essen): Prototype-Portal launch (2-day)

Do you want EQO to be part of your conference or workshop? Then contact us. We are interested to get in contact, present our ideas and face your challenges ([log in to unmask]).

Contact
We are looking forward to get in contact with you, to answer your questions or receive your suggestions concerning our work. Please feel free to contact us anytime you want to or use the possibility to contact your national consortium partner.

European Quality Observatory
Universität Duisburg-Essen, Standort Essen
Universitätsstraße 9
D-45141 Essen
Germany

fon: ++49 (201) 183 4057
fax: ++49 (201) 183 4067
web: www.eqo.info
mail: [log in to unmask]

Please send a mail to the following address to unsubscribe this newsletter:
[UE1]bitte immer die URLs angeben (clear text), da diese sonst bei Ausdrucken nicht mehr sichtbar sind.

               5