I'm suprised at the hostility to the Land Rover adverts - they are a fine
company who have worked closely with the geographical communitty to promote
its core values.  It must be true, I read it on the Royal Geographical
Society web-site:

"For over 20 years Land Rover have supplied expedition vehicles to the
Society and are currently associated with the Shoals of Capricorn Research
and Training Programme. The Land Rover brand values of freedom, adventure
and guts underpin the Royal Geographical Society (with IBG) patronage
programme. Land Rover, the foremost four wheel drive manufacturer in the
world is acknowledged as The Best 4x4xfar."

This is going to be a great help in future first year lectures - instead of
all those difficult questions about the nature of Geography, I think I'll
just talk about 'Freedom, Adventure and Guts' and the life-style benefits of
SUVs that can manage 10 miles a gallon.  It's a shame that Land Rover and
the  RGS got there first - perhaps they could lease the slogan to Donald
Rumsfeld and Geoff Hoon for their next big expedition ...

Dr David Gilbert
Department of Geography,
Royal Holloway,
University of London,