The tensions between locals and the university in the US are probably
influenced most by the geographic location of the university in that a
more urban university is less likely to have an entrenched local
population. Jeff mentioned UCLA, which is very different than Michigan
Tech in that Westwood is really the heart of West Los Angeles (although
people in Santa Monica might argue that point). The boundaries between
Westwood and UCLA are blurry and the people who choose or chose to live in
Westwood are/ were aware that a large student population is going to exist
there. Still, the prices for housing there have seemingly helped ensure a
different aesthetic than one might find in a traditional college town in
the US. In Houghton, MI (a very rural area) Tech students live in houses
that look horrible and students have told me that the outside matches the
inside as far as condition (and at times safety). There are tensions
between locals and students/professors even though the university is the
town's largest employer. The city council has been debating an ordinance
that would limit the number of non-family members who could live together
in one house. This is obviously a move that has been generated by
complaints from citizens who don't want student housing on their blocks.
Usually these ordinances are discussed in the Summer when 90% of the
students are gone (replaced by tourists). What's ironic about these
measures is that local people often own the student housing. So the
council meetings have really been about which local group (landlords or
other residents) can sway the council.

Finally, an addendum to my point above about urban universities. The
location of the school has a lot to do with the status of housing. Again,
UCLA is located in a very affluent part of Los Angeles (as is Loyola
Marymount, where I did my BA and housing was very "nice"--and expensive).
At the University of South Florida, where I did my Ph.D., the university
was located in a less affluent part of Tampa. The area around the
university was nicknamed suitcase city because the student population
wasn't stable. The housing wasn't as nice. With that said, locals (a term
that once again becomes a little more complicated in a large city) didn't
live near USF. Thus, the student housing was less of a concern. Out of
sight, out of mind.

For people who are interested in this subject, I would recommend Mike
Davis' "Empty Quarter" from _Sex, Death, and God in LA_. The essay
features an interesting discussion about the rents that immigrants pay in
Southern California to live in slums. The rents are far higher than those
for middle class homes in Los Angeles. While I don't want to conflate the
immigrant experience with those of a college student, there are
similarities as far as housing quality and price in many college towns.
Take care.

Daniel
Daniel Makagon, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Communication and Cultural Studies
Department of Humanities
Michigan Technological University
Houghton, MI  49931
(906) 487-3093