Young female children aged 1-6 are specified as the critical receptor in
the CLEA model. Young children are most at risk via the soil ingestion
pathway and I know from experience that they don't play in the garden for
only 3 months per year!
CLR10 clearly states that young children up to school age are
assumed to be at home for 365 days per year and the exposure frequency for
soil ingestion pathway is therefore assumed to be 365 days per year (also
for the ingestion of indoor dust through hand to mouth contact).
Section 4.11 of CLR10 reads "For the standard residential
scenario, the critical receptor is assumed to be a young female child with
the duration of exposure covering the first six years of life."
I don't believe that it is right to make an assumption that a young child
will never be allowed in the garden for 9 months out of a year. I'd be
interested to know whether such an assumption could be justified for a
residential development.
Peter Millis
Postgraduate
Centre for Environmental Research