>One is left to hope that powerful institutions such as the A.G.
>Leventis foundation that funded this particular work might more
>usefully use turn their influence and prestige toward funding the
>conservation of one-of-a-kind architectural monuments that are
>suffering from exposure and the comprehensive documentation of
>archaeological excavations.

Right on the nose, Louise, and too long unsaid.  However, I think it
must be explicitly stated that a one-time deal would not do the trick
-- there are so many variables that lead to the destruction of sites
and monuments that important foundations would do well to throw their
weight behind long-term projects ranging from subventions for guards
to environmental activism ... Much could be done by persuasion rather
than cash, but it would require commitment to context, again.

Thanks for the thought-provoking post
Constanze

--
Constanze Witt, PhD