As an integral part of his thesis, N. Canny in his recent *Making Ireland British* (Oxford UP 2001) declares that Spenser "set the agenda" for Irish colonial endeavors in the seventeenth century.  McCabe in his recent book summarily dismisses this but more's to be said on the topic, I would think.

For connections between Ireland and British colonies elsewhere, see also Canny (esp. in previous works) and D.B. Quinn.

Wasn't there recently a paper on Spenser and slavery abstracted in SpR?

--Tom Herron