In the FQ at least, Spenser was playing off the forward tees.
CR

-----Original Message-----
From: Craig A. Berry [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Thursday, July 24, 2003 11:58 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: number of verses in FQ

At 10:30 AM -0400 7/19/03, David Wilson-Okamura wrote:
>Does anyone know of a convenient line-count for the various books and
>cantos of The Faerie Queene?

The list archives don't seem to go back to 1999, so I'll repost something I
posted then in reply to a query from the editors of the Oxford (or New
Oxford, or whatever we're going to call it).  The columns in the list below
are word count, line count, and text name.  They were derived by
programmatically counting what's in the Chadwyck Healey English Poetry
database.  If you're interested, David, I might be able to resurrect the
program and count by canto.

A number of caveats are in order.  The electronic edition I'm working with
transcribes from the Variorum only works in verse and the bits of prose
attached to them.  So, for example, the word counts include E.K.'s
commentary to SC but exclude the published letters, except the verses that
appear within the letters are included under "Fragments." Word counts also
include headings, dedications, and so forth, plus a few extraneous things
like page numbers that were inconvenient to exclude from what I considered
to be a word ("characters separated by white space").  Line counts are not
typesetter's lines but rather enumerated lines of verse.

31914   2239    THE Shepheardes Calender.
4507    561     Daphnaida.
7545    955     COLIN CLOVTS Come home againe.
1919    234     ASTROPHEL.
856     108     DOLEFULL LAY OF CLORINDA
9251    1182    Fovvre Hymnes
2202    270     A THEATRE [for]  Worldlings
5271    677     The Ruines of Time.
4499    599     THE Teares of the Muses.
5301    702     Virgils Gnat.
11381   999     PROSOPOPOIA. Or Mother Hubberds Tale.
3603    461     Ruines of Rome: by Bellay.
3342    440     MVIOPOTMOS, Or The Fate of the Butterflie.
1330    168     Visions of the worlds vanitie.
1677    210     The Visions of Bellay.
990     125     The Visions of Petrarch formerly translated.
9299    1158    Amoretti.
538     82      [Anacreontics]
3257    433     Epithalamion.
1371    180     Prothalamion.
421     53      Commendatory Sonnets.
404     35      Fragments.
44943   5637    THE FIRST BOOKE OF THE FAERIE QVEENE.
48802   6240    THE SECOND BOOKE OF THE FAERIE QVEENE.
48443   6186    THE THIRD BOOKE OF THE FAERIE QVEENE.
43747   5484    THE FOVRTH BOOKE OF THE FAERIE QVEENE.
42128   5232    THE FIFTH BOOKE OF THE FAERIE QVEENE.
41117   5097    THE SIXTH BOOKE OF THE FAERIE QVEENE.
8555    1052    [THE SEVENTH BOOKE OF THE FAERIE QVEENE.]
2913    370     COMMENDATORY VERSES AND DEDICATORY SONNETS

Craig A. Berry
mailto:[log in to unmask]

 difficult than getting in."
                 Brad Leithauser