Hulya:    why go all the way around Hell's Barn to get what was in the chicken
coop in the back yard?

I am a doctoral student in the Educational Theory & Practice Department @
SUNYAlbany working on a dissertation that investigates the use of
social-constructivist evaluation frameworks in on-line asynchronous classrooms.

In our department, we utilize two *qualifying milestones*: (a) inquiry exam -
where the prospective candidates need to critique each article in a given issue
of AERA's journal (using both qual & quant research frameworks), and (b) a
portfolio interactively developed w/a committee of three that indicates your
abilities to work in whichever framework (qual/quant) chosen utilizing sample
artifacts of your own research that demonstrates the use of tools, methods,
methodologies, and that justify the choice of framework, as well--all united by
an overarching narrative that seeks to make sense out of the work in the light
of on-going research interests and scholarly skill sets to vitalize them..

The (a) part used to be a complete item analysis and overall quantitative
critique of a sample test result for 100 learners, but was revised to the
current model due to the fact it was exclusively quantitative. The portfolio (b)
part was added as a qualitative moment in the candidacy when the (a) part was
the only (quant) qualifying exam we had.

We have BOTH parts as our qualifying examination schedule, I suppose, because of
tradition and its strangle hold on reason and as a sop to the more quantitative
profs who feel a need to *test* understandings of quantitative frameworks (fair
enough!).

BUT, to *test* the understanding of qualitative frameworks of research seems to
me akin to finding the square peg that will fit snugly into the round hole--an
incongruous errand at best. No?    ;-} rap.

--
"Dein Wachstum sei feste und lache vor Lust!
Deines Herzens Trefflichkeit