Dear All

I am looking for information / articles etc (indeed anything) about Aelfric
Putoc Archbishop of York 1023-1051.

The web seems singularly useless (no mention as far as I can see in
Keynes's Anglo-Saxon Bibliography ...) The only information I can find on
the web (given below) comes from 1903.

Does anyone know of sections to him in articles etc?

Thanks

Chris Daniell

Aelfric Puttoc
(Died 1051)
Bishop of Worcester
Archbishop of York
Died: 22nd January 1051

Aelfric Puttoc became Archbishop of York in 1023, but lost the associated
Bishopric of Worcester to Lyfing, the great counsellor of Canute, who
succeeded to that living. When Lyfing was accused of being implicated in
the murder of Prince Alfred, the Archbishop took his opportunity to seize
the See of Worcester. He, however, resigned it in the following year and
permitted Lyfing (who was Bishop of Crediton as well as of Worcester) to
return. Aelfric died at Southwell and was buried in Peterborough Cathedral.

Edited from Richard John King's "Handbook to the Cathedrals of England:
Northern Division" (1903).

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]