I don't suppose this answers your question fully but Harmsworth's
encyclopedia of 1920 has a short entry under READING ROOM as follows: "Room,
usually in connection with a library, where accommodation is provided for
students and other readers."
The word "usually" seems significant.

Another reference is in the OED where Cobbett is quoted saying that in 1817
there were reading rooms all over the country. The OED describes it as a
room attached to a library or club.

Brian Read