This came to me on the lis-maps list -- sorry (as ever) if you all
already know about it/don't want to know about it.  Queries to the
list or (perhaps) [log in to unmask] (lives in California, I think).

Roger Fern.

Date:          Sat, 31 May 2003 14:02:30 -0700
From:          Al Magary <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:       Announcing H-London:  history of London list
To:            [log in to unmask]

[x-posted to 3 map discussion lists--sorry if you get more than
one of these!  The first several messages touched on the "Agas"
map, the floor plan of medieval Westminster Palace, and similar
geographical details.
--Al Magary]

Announcing new History of London Mailing List

H-London is a new, multidisciplinary mailing list for scholars,
students, researchers, and serious travelers working on various
facets of the history of London, England.  Our aim is to draw
together scholars whose work touches on London and to bring in as
many differing viewpoints as possible.  The goal -- to foster
communication and information exchange on *everything* related to
this particular region.

Examples of encouraged topics: "straight" history, literature,
streets and buildings, maps, court studies, housewifery, culinary
history, historic costuming, period music, pageantry, discussion of
various eras and personages that were active or influential in London
and the home counties...the list goes on (see Disraeli quotation at
the bottom).

Ideally with this mix we will be able to flesh out the details of
life and commerce in London through the millennia.

Unfortunately we are not at this time able to answer genealogical
queries and will not likely be able to give specific details about
relatively unknown personages.  In the future a geneaology query
message board will be available on our website to facilitate this
type of search.

To subscribe, please send an email to

with this information: your name, email address, location in the
world, institutional affiliation (if relevant), publications (if
relevant), and brief description of your interest in the history of
London--especially any past or current research interest.  Or feel
free to contact that address if you have any questions about the
list itself.

"London: a nation, not a city."
--Benjamin Disraeli, 'Lothair'

Roger Fern, Newcastle upon Tyne.