Dear All,

The ADS is pleased to announce its policy on archiving and disseminating
National Period and Local Archaeological and Historical Society
Journals.

National period and local historical and archaeological journals play a
key role in publishing archaeological reports, and in some cases, they
represent the only record we have of archaeological excavations and
discoveries. As the nature of 21st-century publication changes and the
discipline begins to take advantage of electronic dissemination many
local and national societies have begun to explore the provision of
digital versions of their journal in parallel to traditional annual
printed editions, a move welcomed by readers and libraries. As part of
its role of providing long-term preservation and dissemination for
digital archaeological resources produced in the UK the ADS has been
considering ways in which it can facilitate on-line access to UK
journals.

How much does it cost?

We have recently reviewed our charging policy for societies who wish to
make available digital versions of their journals via the ADS, and have
agreed a single flat-rate charge per volume of £300 + VAT (at standard
rate). For those undertaking a programme of digitization of back issues
we can provide separate costs for their archive and dissemination on
request.

What service do we offer?

We are happy to discuss the deposition, preservation and dissemination
of digital editions of journals, as pdf files. The service we offer
includes:

1. Constructing an HTML table of contents page to provide hyper-linked
access to each article.
2. Mounting and cataloguing the resource in the ADS online catalogue,
making it available free of charge to the international research
community according to our standard terms and conditions of use.
3. Listing the resource in the ArchWay database and the ADS virtual
e-journal library, to increase its accessibility.
4. Preservation of the files provided.
5. Delayed release of the electronic edition after 3 years, or sooner if
preferred.

If you require more than this, for example, the archiving and delivery
of additional material, linked to journal articles (finds databases,
extra images etc) then we would be happy to provide additional costings
based on our standard file-based charging policy.

We regret that we do NOT:

1. Provide a scanning service for back issues.
2. Run a subscription service; access to all on-line resources archived
by the ADS is free of charge to all authorised users.

However, we may be able to provide advice or contacts for help in these
areas. The CBA is exploring the possibility of putting together a
consortium of journals interested in developing online delivery. Those
interested should contact Mike Heyworth at the CBA directly.

What do you have to do?

1. Contact the ADS (Catherine Hardman, [log in to unmask]) for an initial
discussion about your requirements.
2. Provide the ADS with pdf versions of the journal (one pdf per
article, not exceeding 0.5Mb per file). Your printer will normally
generate these as part of the production process.
3. Sign a deposit licence (one licence will cover all volumes of the
same journal).

Catherine Hardman
Collections Development Manager

The Archaeology Data Service