Hi Crispin,

One possible source might be the British Geological Survey.

Their site at
http://www.bgs.ac.uk/bgsrcs/help.htm
includes a the BGS Rock Classification Scheme, which, at Volume 4, covers
superficial deposits, and I think landforms. Its available as a downloadable
.pdf.

It looks pretty complicated, and perhaps not very archaeologically inclined,
but might form a starting point, if nothing else comes to hand. Given that
this is not perhaps 'archaeological' data in any case, using a system
developed by the appropriate discipline lead body might be the best bet.

Ed