Ed and colleagues,

I've no direct experience of teaching geology to blind
students, but I saw a very interesting poster at GSA last year
(EARTH SCIENCE TEACHING MATERIALS AND TECHNIQUES FOR THE
VISUALLY IMPAIRED), and spent some time talking to one of the
presenters (Lisa Hansen, [log in to unmask] or Karen Havholm)
from U Wisconsin, Eau Claire. The abstract is available at:

http://gsa.confex.com/gsa/2002AM/finalprogram/abstract_39323.htm

One method they used was to overlay simple graphs and diagrams
with flexible plastic sticks.

Other papers on this topic from earlier GSA meetings:

ACCOMMODATING BLIND STUDENTS IN INTRODUCTORY PHYSICAL GEOLOGY
is at http://rock.geosociety.org/absindex/annual/1999/50064.htm

TACTILE MATERIALS FOR THE SIGHT-IMPAIRED GEOLOGY STUDENT at
http://rock.geosociety.org/absindex/annual/1999/50162.htm

These may well give you some useful ideas, and I'm sure the
authors would be happy to hear from you.

Roger Suthren
Senior Lecturer in Geology
Oxford Brookes University

> Dear Colleagues,
>
> Does anyone have (or had) a student who is blind? The School
of Geography & Geosciences at
St Andrews would be interested in any advice: see Ed Stephen's
message below.

> "We have a potential student for the coming year who is
totally blind who wishes to study
one year of Geoscience (mainly geology). We have dealt
successfully with students with
severe sight impairment before, indeed we have one at honours
level this year, but never
totally blind. Rather than try to reinvent the wheel I wonder
if  LTSN is
> aware of any other department which has successfully taught
first year geology to a blind
student, and of any useful resources for such teaching."