-----Original Message-----
From: The Disability-Research Discussion List
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Smith, Glenn
Sent: 13 June 2003 12:05
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: personal tragedy on large

This question goes to the core of many aspects of identity and oppresion
-if
someone does not recognise they are being opressed are they opressed ?
...and should they be helped to change their view - after all some
people
who are part of a 'group' seemingly oppressed often benefit from that
oppression because their life and personality is suited to seeing the
world
like that or seeing the world from a different angle may be
psychologically
as damaging as being understood as an individual with a biomedical
problem
devoid of social context.

From my own personal thoughts, letting people make up their own minds by
pointing them in the direction of good, engaging and challenging reading
material about understanding disability/chronic illness as contextual
experiences that are subject to the usual
social/cultural/historical/geographical pressures  is the best way to
address this dilemma. If this material enlightens them about
experiences/reactions/problems in their life they could make no sense
through a medical lense of disability understanding, then ten to one
they
will begin to understand their life with a disability as being socially
defined too.

Aftter that they can find their own balance between understanding their
life
as biomedically and socially defined. Having both knowledge bases gives
great deal of empowerment in dealing with their own sense of self and
the
reactions of others etc - self education is the key i would say...

All the Best
Glenn

Dr Glenn Smith,
Research Fellow,