To all

I have been following this thread with interest and would like to throw
something out for your consideration.  I feel that we nee to look closer
what we mean by ' tragedy ' or ' tragic ' with regard to disability.  I have
cerebral palsy, but I would  feel uncomfortable in describing having
cerebral palsy as good or bad and I guess ' tragic ' is mostly associated
with the 'bad'.  There are good and bad consequences of having cerebral
palsy, for anyway.  Firstly, if it wad not for my cerebral palsy, since it
made it difficult for me to take part in sports and made me more concentrate
on my academic pursuits when I was much yonger - I might be that I would not
being doing a PhD (this assumes of course that doing a PhD is a good thing).

And yet, I have back pains, I cannot take part in certain activities that
otherwise I could.  Whether disability is ' tragic ' assumes that the
alternative to disability is desirable, I would say it is, but the
desirability and the desiring of a life without disability does not make a
life with disability bad or tragic.

That someone may bemoan from to time to that they have a disability does not
mean they fall foul of the ' tragedy ' view of disability.  It merely means
that one is fustrated with one lot - as many people are with or without
disability.In short I feel there often is a dualistic logic at work, even by
those who argue against the personal tragedy model - its good/bad,there is
no in between.  But there is.

Finally, and the forgive the long-windednes of this posting, there is a
trend is disability politics, as another on the list alluded to, to
re-educate those with disabilities who do see disability as tragedy,  which
is their right, indeed it could be considered unethical to re-educate them
into being a 'good PWD'  I use that phrase because a similar form (those
obviously much harsher tactics!) were used in Communist Russia - those who
didn't believe were 're-educated' into being a 'good communist'.

Back down the fox hole I go.

Michael

are now located at: