But you seem to have missed my point, Rowley, which Jeremy was perceptive
enough to note. I didn't mind at all the way they quoted me at the start of
the article, it was their interpretation and contextualisation of my
position at the end that really irritated me, and I quote, "Although Adrian
Fogarty would have us believe that doctor and wellbeing are two words that
cannot exist in the same sentence, everyone else I spoke to felt that they
had taken positive steps to improve their own wellbeing."

They were essentially implying that I was some sort of isolated minority, as
if doctors' wellbeing was not a major issue in this country. But I really
resented being compared with a GP tutor, an ophthalmologist and a
"politician". And the occupational physician, I happen to know, is a
part-time freelance "expert" who "keeps" a penthouse apartment overlooking
Hyde Park! Finally the Graeme Catto "advice" simply came across as
patronising.

Although "crossing threads", it seems reasonable to quote DMG at this point
who recently stated, "It seems inevitable that there is now going to be head
on confrontation with the DoH about the Consultants' Contract.  The Medical
Staff particularly the consultants will be "Brought into Line". The FBU have
been seen off and over the next few weeks there will be a lot of nasty spin
emanating from the centre about the fat cat Consultants."

Under the circumstances I think my letter was timely, given the overall
political context of the debate surrounding reward for consultants'
commitment. So I don't regret it in any way. And as for your argument that a
later letter makes things worse, I completely disagree. The BMJ obviously
liked it and were keen to get it in print, and I was very happy to edit it
for them. Further, I have had many positive responses from readers around
the globe! Finally, the elementary error you mention from the original
article (where I was called a cardiac consultant) is immaterial, although
the later letter helped to correct this too!

Regards

Adrian Fogarty