You will have seen the correspondence about Pathan/Panthan in "Beyond the
Pale"  referring to the quote from the "Love Song  of Har Dyal "  on page174
line 15 (of the Macmillan Uniform editions)

Thacker and Spink's first edition had 'Pathan', as had the Macmillan Uniform
edition of 1949.  However
Doubleday 1932 had 'Panthan' as have Sussex and Burwash.  If Sussex and
Burwash are correct, one must assume that  'Pathan' represents over-zealous
proof-reading. The issue raises the interesting question of how closely RK -
with his strong journalistic background - proof-read successive editions of
his writings.

In editing "The Broken-link Handicap" John McGivering and I have uncovered
another anomaly. In the paperback edition of PTFH which I am currently using
on holiday in Ireland (based on the Macmillan Uniform type-setting) page 166
line 15 refers to the 'Maribyrnong Plate' (spelt ..BYRNONG). This must have
referred to the 'Maribymong Plate' (spelt ..BYMONG) which still figures in
the Australian Racing Calendar.

It would be interesting to know whether this was an error in type-setting -
easily done since 'rn' looks very like 'm' - or whether Kipling deliberately
changed the name.  It would be very helpful if people could check whether
the name was corrected to the ..BYMONG spelling in any editions of PTFH.

Good wishes to all, John R

http://www.msn.co.uk/internetaccess