Following the discussion about lay piety - one of the big changes in
religion was the church's desire for a separation of clergy and lay people,
and hence the insistence on the Gregorian Reforms (Morris has a good piece
on this in Papal Monarchy). This had many ramifications (priestly celibacy
etc) and led to Becket's murder ...

To shift the debate somewhat. As is well known there is a phenomenon in
late Anglo-Saxon churches of a door high up (often 20-30ft high) set into
the west tower so that someone can look down on the nave and the chancel.
The thought is that there was a balcony out into the church.

I had always thought this was for the priest, but a colleague mentioned
that he thought it was for the owner/patron of the church to be separated
from the congregation. It is well attested that Charlemangne had such a
high vantage point (though looking through an arch, not a door and a
balcony) but for this to happen in many small churches seems odd,
especially as I have in my mind more of a communal act of worship, rather
than the late Medieval ideas of the separation of the rich and powerful.

Any thoughts?

Chris Daniell

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]