I was very surprised to discover that LCFGng can produce badly formed XML.
Anyone who is using LCFGng should be able to go to
http://lcfgngserver/status and click on the XML profile link for their CE
and they will find that it is not well formed.  This is if you are using
anything up to v1.4.11 with CE_JOBMANAGERS set to "fork pbs" (which is the
default) in site-cfg.h.  I have just bug reported this (#1093)

This amazes me, because it suggests two things:

1) The LCFGng profiles are generated as text streams with angle brackets,
where it is hoped that the output is well formed (or a variation on this
theme such as a non-standard XML generator with a bug in it, or text
post-processing of the profile), which are not checked for well formedness
before being output.

2) The LCFGng client is reading these profiles without complaining about
them being badly formed.  I can only assume this is the case, otherwise
there would be a bug report about it, or some error message popping up
somewhere, or the system not getting configured properly because the
profile cannot be read.

In any case, the fact that "almost XML" can be generated and read by the
system is worrying, and I thought it worth mentioning here.

Ian.

--
Ian Stokes-Rees                 [log in to unmask]
Particle Physics, Oxford        http://www-pnp.physics.ox.ac.uk/~stokes