Here are the quotations for the coming week (May 25th to 31st)

1. '.In the balmy dawnin' it was given out, all among the 'olystones, by our sub-lootenant, who was a three-way-discharge devil, that all orders after eight bells was to be executed in inverse ration to the cube o' the velocity. "The reg'lar routine," he says, "was arrogated for reasons o' state an' policy."

2. "Get out of this and conduct your own damned manoeuvres in your own damned tinker fashion ! You're a disgrace to the service, and your boat's offal." ."I shall take these as my orders" said Mr Moorshed.

3. 'What's her speed ?' he demanded of the engineer.
'Twenty-five', said that loyal man.
'Easy to run ? ' 'No: very difficult,' was the emphatic answer.
'That just shows you ain't fit for your rating. D'you suppose that a man who earns his livin' by runnin' 30-knot destroyers for a parstime - for a parstime mark you ! - is going to lie down before any blighted land-crabbin' steam-pinnace on springs ?'

The sources of this week's extracts (May 18th to 24th) are as follows:

1. (...With a mallet and a pair of tweezers, he knocked out mysterious wedges of wood that released the forme...) This is from "The Last Term" in Stalky & Co.

2. (...He was going to cable from Southampton to the New York World, mail his account to America on the same day, paralyse London...) This is from "A Matter of Fact" in Many Inventions.

3. (...It was a shade cooler in the press-room than the office, so I sat there, while the type ticked and clicked...) This is from "The Man who Would be King" in Wee Willie Winkie.

Good wishes to all, John R