From: matt watson <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wed, 14 May 2003 13:17:14 +0100
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: software to record sequenced and simultaneous activities?

I am currently analysing video footage of everyday activities in
domestic kitchens. Analysis is going OK with text description plus
spreadsheet recording of time on different activities.

However, I’d really like to find software that gives some way of
recording and analysing the way in which activities, sometimes of
multiple people and things, occur simultaneously and sequentially in
time.

I’d envisage the interface being graphical, something like a timeline in
video editing software, allowing you to label different horizontal
strands, mark up when an activity starts and stops within those strands
and give each block some sort of identifier – but I say that more in the
hope of giving an idea of the function I’m looking for rather than being
specific about how an interface would have to be. It’d be easy enough to
count up seconds spent on each activity, but that’s not very interesting
– what’s interesting is how practices, people and things are working
together in time.

I realise it’s a long shot, but if anyone knows of any such software,
I’d be really glad to hear of it.

Matt

Dr Matt Watson
Sociology and Social Policy, University of Durham, 32 Old Elvet, Durham
DH1 3HN UK