medieval-religion: Scholarly discussions of medieval religion and culture Since there seems to be an interest in surviving medieval religious practices, I thought members of the list may like to know that on Sunday there will be a procession of Knights Hospitallers in the village of Little Maplestead in north Essex - the village was given to the order in 1185 and according to the local paper a procession and service has been held in the village every year since.  The service will be held in the church of St. John the Baptist - more commonly know as the Round church since, like the more well-known church in Cambridge, it is round.  The paper claims it was because the tomb of Jesus was round, but I (knowing nothing of the Knights Hospitallers) assume it was because the Church of the Holy Sepulchre was round.  Any advice on beginners' reading about the Knights Hospitallers would be welcome.
with best wishes Cate Gunn