For the benefit of those outside London, I thought I'd let you know about a
new map I picked up at Piccadilly Circus last night.  It's a new concept to
me, which I found really interesting.

Entitled A new perspective to London: Euston and King's Cross to the West
End, it is promoted as a 'walking map'.  It is a 3-D map showing buidlings
and has Euston at the bottom of the sheet.  By assuming you are walking from
the station, South is therefore at the top of the sheet!  The scale bar is
shown in walking time rather than distance!  There is a street index on the
back.

The cartographer is not named!

In addition, a recent current awareness booklet/newsletter issued by the
Underground and entitled Tube, had a article on the history of Harry Beck's
1935 design of the Underground map on pp. 26-28.

Wendy Cawthorne, Assistant Librarian,
Geological Society Library,
Burlington House, Piccadilly, LONDON  W1J  0BG
Tel: +44 (0)20 7432 0999; Fax: +44 (0)20 7439 3470
e-mail: [log in to unmask]

Visit the ultimate geological site at http://www.geolsoc.org.uk
This email is confidential and is intended for the addressee(s) only.  If
you have received it in error, please do not reproduce or disseminate the
contents of this message; please contact us by return email, or by telephone
on +44 (0)20 7432 0999, and delete this message and any copies of it from
your computer systems.  The Society does not accept liability for
individuals' opinions, advice or views expressed in this email.
The Geological Society of London is a registered charity, number 210161.

http://www.star.net.uk