Duncan - none of the above. Just a jaundiced comment about the state of
economics . My maths isn't great but mathematical proofs come in
various guises - the inductive - try a few calculations and come up
with a pattern and a rule, or use a deductive proof - usually a bit
harder. The inductive proof of course proves nothing but might be
useful, the deductive is rock solid. In economics we use both - or at
least we used to. It seems that more and more the deductive proofs are
being stripped away from A level economics, first indifference curves
then theory of the firm then the Keynesian cross, so that we are left
with the wish washy inductive stuff - discuss this in a role play etc..
Leaving us with something which doesn't deserve the title social
science any more.

Now it seems to me that once upon a time we might have tackled the
elasticity problem the hard way - I wonder if there are any students
out there that can manage that - it would be interesting to see.

PS Cambridge Spies was ***p - you should have slept.

Cheers

Chris :-)