If you think about these issues in terms of our role as teachers, or
people involved in facilitating the learning process, I would imagine
that many would agree that our role is not to propagandise the student
body, nor indeed to politicize them.

It would be laughable to think that we were to suggest that the
geography's solutions to life's problems were to come from a particular
political perspective (or even worse from a particular party).

Our role as educators is to help student acquire the ability to think
critically, to examine carefully our predispositions as we seek to
understand reality.

In a large class of students we are likely to encounter a range of
political views, something we should he happy with as a reflection of
the free choices of individuals in a free society. This does not mean
that our students would not become aware of our own philosophical view
of life, while being assured that we respect their own.

Seamus Grimes
Department of Geography and Centre for Innovation and Structural Change
National University of Ireland, Galway