Since the debate on class, etc. a few years ago, I have
concluded that it is a bit difficult to have interesting and politically
stimulating debates in this forum. This is partly because many of
us are critical of some things (e.g. patriarchy) but not of others
(e.g. capitalism). And the moment you critique the
ideas/practices which some people consider as beyond serious
criticism (e.g. capitalism/class is here to stay, so what is the point
in being so much critical about it?), you are accused of trying to
claim the high moral ground, or of raking up old debates, or
whatever. Some people also take academic critiques too
personally, rather than in a friendly way. The continuation of the
debate is discouraged in certain ways. What I have felt is that
people do not enjoy critiques from the standpoint of radical
political economy. I always look forward to reading comments
in this forum on (e.g.) how capitalist/class/imperialist exploitation
contributes to, and is reproduced through, the regimes of
oppression based on gender, race, sexuality, disability, and so
on. Unfortunately, there is very little about all this.
Raju

Dr Raju Das
Lecturer

e: [log in to unmask]