Your question about legitimate methods of comparing income support levels
is ambiguous -- are you interested in [a] making comparisons of levels of
income support between countries, or [b] assessing the adequacy of income
support in any specific country, also comparing countries? If [a], Peter
Whiteford's answer will help you.

However, you mention a court appeal, so if your objective is [b], then
comparing statistical proportions is a completely invalid method of
generating indicators of income maintenance benefit adequacy
for your court case, since they contain not the slightest empirical
evidence of minimum income levels needed in any specific country to meet
any specified level of living, such as a decency or participatory
standard. OECD has its interests, but participatory adequacy may not have
been among them.

Naturally it is possible to generate politically credible and usable data
for governmental minimum income standards, but you have to go to a handful
of north European countries for examples. In your circumstances, your best
evidence of how to do a politically credible job is probably to use the US
National Academy of Sciences' expert committee report -- C Citro and R
Michael [1995], "Measuring Poverty -- a New Approach", National Academy
Press, Washington DC. I prefer to use other methods than their
minimum budgets modified by a form of Engel multiplier, but at least they
focus on the main issues.

To repeat, there is no a priori or empirical evidence to suggest that any
arbitrary or average proportion of GDP, or any percentile of national
income distribution, contains in it any evidence of income adequacy to
achieve any specifiable minimum or other level of living in any country.
They are entirely distinct conceptual and measurable entities, even if
they are generally confused, often by people who should know better.
Perhaps they do know better, but want to divert attention from inadequate
incomes. Whichever it is, scholars should not collude in the confusion.

John Veit Wilson.

> Date:          Thu, 15 May 2003 17:50:35 +0200
> From:          John Gal <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject:       help needed
> To:            [log in to unmask]

> Hello,
> I wonder if anybody can be of assistance.  A number of colleagues and I recently assisted some NGO's in Israel appeal to the supreme court regarding major cuts in the income support benefit levels.  > Does anyone know the source of these findings (the Ministry of Finance did not mention the specific sources surprisingly!), and
> Is this a legitmate way to compare the level of benefits - I have used average income or PPP in the past.
> Thanks,
> John
>

> John Gal  Ph.d
> Senior Lecturer
> Paul Baerwald School of Social Work
> Hebrew University
> Mt Scopus
> Jerusalem
> Israel 91905
> Tel: 972-2-5881305
> Fax: 972-2-5823587
> E-mail address: [log in to unmask]

From Professor J. H. Veit-Wilson
Sociology and Social Policy
University of Newcastle upon Tyne
NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE NE1 7RU, England.
Telephones: +44-191-222-7498 or +44-191-266-2428
Fax: +44-191-222-7497.
E-mail: <[log in to unmask]>.