I was recently contacted by Mary Robertson of the Huntington Library
with a fascinating query about an object associated with the Sidneys.  I
promised that I would look about for a solution (including information
about New Year's Gifts from Lisa Celovsky), but so far have found
nothing solid.  I'm posting the query here in hopes that someone on the
list can make some suggestions.  If you post to the list (not to me,
off-list) we'll all be able to follow the discussion, if one ensues. I
can then summarize for Mary Robertson.  Thanks for your help, Germaine
(see below).

"I am writing to you ... in the hope that you might have some further
information about an object in the Huntington's collections about which
knew nothing when you visited us back in 1995:  in our Art Gallery is a
silver-framed  carved coconut standing cup,  made in 1586,  and said to
have
been presented by Queen Elizabeth to Sir Philip Sidney or to his family,

probably after Zutphen   (or, much less likely, a gift from him/ them to

her).  The coconut shell which forms the bowl of the cup is divided into

three panels:  on the first is carved Elizabeth's "E.R." monogram; on
the
second the Sidney porcupine; and on the third several military symbols
(pike, cannon, etc.).  A strikingly similar cup is said to have been
made by
Elizabeth from a coconut brought back to her by Sir Francis Drake, and
is
now in Devon, with Drake's arms in place of the porcupine and a small
view
of a man landing on an island rather than the military symbols.

I came across this while curating an exhibition for the 400th
anniversary of
Elizabeth's death;   the label in our Art Gallery made no mention of
either
Elizabeth or the Sidney connection, so I had missed its existence
earlier
on.

Although it is not  really necessary for my Elizabeth show (which opened

last December), I've been trying to pin down the circumstances of the
cup
with a little more precision.  I've been through all the secondary
material
here on Sidney that I can locate ( the Collected Works,  his will,
Katherine
Duncan-Jones's  biography and exhibit catalogue, other biographies, and
so
on)  but I can't find any reference to it.  As you are working with the
Penshurst library we thought it just barely possible that you might have

access to some inventory or other source not published, or else have
some
better idea than I of where else I might find mention of the Sidney cup
and
the circumstances of its gift."

Germaine Warkentin // English (Emeritus)
VC 205, Victoria College (University of Toronto),
73 Queen's Park Crescent East, Toronto, Ont. M5S 1K7, CANADA
[log in to unmask]   (fax number on request)