In January 1890 Kipling wrote a piece in the Pioneer about a meeting of the Indian National Congress in Allahabad.  In it, he is said to have refered to a Congressman, Captain Andrew Hearsey, son of General Hearsey, and another, as 'the brown Captain and a half-caste'.  Hearsey was enraged, took a horsewhip to the Pioneer's editor and got a month in jail for assault.

Can anyone point me to where I can find a copy of the article Kipling wrote?  It must have been dated about 20 January, since George Allen, the Pioneer's owner, wrote another piece attacking Hearsey on 26 January, after he was sentenced, which I have.

Yours sincerely,
Roger Ayers
Honorary Membership Secretary,
The Kipling Society