Sue

There are significant differences in retention requirements from country
to country and 'in country' advice is essential on a country by country
basis. It will also depend on whether your local companies are locally
incorporated and therefore subject to local company law. There are
concerns in some countries that if records are repatriated to a
different jurisdiction it may be difficult for the local authorities to
conduct retrospective investigations even if immediate auditing and
control requirements have been met.

I'm not sure whether it still applies but, close to home, when I was
responsible for RM in a large UK clearing bank, Channel Islands law
prevented us from transferring records of our local branches and
subsidiaries to the mainland for storage - although they did allow us to
transfer them temporarily for microfilming.

Peter Emmerson
Director
Emmerson Consulting Limited
47a Salisbury Road
Harpenden
Hertfordshire  AL5 5AR

Phone   01582 769842
Fax     01582 761740
E-mail  [log in to unmask]

This e-mail message and any files transmitted with it are confidential
and intended solely for the use of the addressee.  If you are not the
intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of it
is prohibited and may be unlawful.  If you have received this e-mail in
error, please delete it immediately and notify Emmerson Consulting by
return e-mail to the above address.

Emmerson Consulting Limited is registered in England No. 3607347.
Registered Office: Charter Court, Midland Road, Hemel Hempstead,
Hertfordshire HP2 5GE