    From: Pamela Harper <[log in to unmask]>
    To: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>
    Date: 05 April 2003 22:11
    Subject: Re: terrorist role play

    Reacting to impossible situations with humour is definately a coping mechanism.
    I have seen it frequently in hospitals especially in area such as Trauma units and intensive care were the staff are sometimes faced with the worst. Some  outsiders may consider the humour 'sick' but nursing and medical staff, I feel, would on ocaassions go insane if they didnot laugh at some of the situations they find themselves in. It is not they do not have feeling and do not care - rather they do and laughter helps to relieve the sterss of it all.
    Biologically laughter rleasses anti stress hormones into the system so it is a real way for the body to cope physilogically

    Pamela and power