Dear Paul and list
although I don't see it as a major problem when people decide to give their emails a kind of a personal flavour, after a while it becomes very hard to resist hitting the "delete" button - sometimes even without reading the message. This, I think is a result of becoming increasingly aware of the fact that a large amount of emails on this list are personal exchanges between list members that could have very easily been send "back stage", without being witnessed by the rest of us. I assume that there have been times, I have dumped the odd useful email along with all the personal 1-1 talk. Anyway, in that sense, "off track" is not the issue. Actually at times, in this list, "off track" messages are the only ones I would read.
I would like to see what would the list become if we were to talk only about our profession for a while. Would people feel more inclined to contribute? Would I end up saving more messages from these exchanges than I normally do?
with the finger on the "delete" button
Yannis

Paul Carney wrote:

Dear all

I am aware that not everybody on the list contributes - whether this is because it is seen as being 'monopolised' by a few or not I cannot say. However, I am aware that some of the recent messages were of a very 'personal' nature. I know that there are some 'approaches' to counselling that seem to advocate a freedom of speech that might be seen as being offensive towards others - I am not particularly overkeen on such speech myself.

I do see the list as being useful for some 'steam letting' - and for the occasional 'light humour', but believe that we need to consider whether our messages might cause offense, and if so to consider not sending it.

Andrew mentioned about the list being 'clublike' (which I didn't take personally), if it is perhaps it IS because we don't 'introduce ourselves' on joining, or join in when we have joined. I know that I welcome some of the information that I get from 'fresh insights' on the list, and welcome hearing the diversity of opinion with regard to 'clinical' aspects of our occupation. So, I guess that what I am saying is "please do contribute if you haven't done so, so that I can hear what you have to say."

I know that I don't always have my messages answered either, Andrew. But sometimes they are so far 'off track' that I hardly expect them to be answered - as happened a while ago on the EMDR Listserv that I am on, in which I got two requests to 'share the information' that I gathered and NO informtaion. It didn't take long to share it!

Upgrade Your Email - Click here!

--
This message has been scanned for viruses by the
DIT Computer Centre MailScanner Service,

Best wishes

Paul

http://www.traumatherapy.co.uk
http://www.traumatraining.com

--
This message has been scanned for viruses by the
DIT Computer Centre MailScanner Service
,
and is believed to be clean.