Also emanating from Scandinavia in the 12th century was the possibility
of producing wine from kraekiber (crowberries or bilberries). That,
apparently, the archbishop of Trondheim quashed! Only wine from grapes
could be used in the Mass.

Now another question: What, if anything, is known about the ecclesiastical
affiliation of the Isle of Man and the Hebrides (specifically Iona)
in the 11th - 12th century (i.e. before the establishment of the archdiocse of Trondheim)? To what bishopric or archbishopric did they
belong?

Meg

>I have come across a number of references to the practice of rich children being baptised with milk (and on occasion with beer!).

In 1241, the archbishop of Trondheim inquired on the validity of baptism
with beer "due to the scarcity of water" (!) but the pope declined. Cf.
Martin Kaufhold, Eine norwegische Biertaufe: Probleme liturgischer
Normierung im 13. Jahrhundert, in: Zeitschrift f. Rechtsgeschichte 114,
kanonistische Abteilung 83 (1997) 362---376; the papal letter is
Potthast 11048.

In 1206 an earlier archbishop of Trondheim had asked the same regarding
the use of saliva, "propter aque penuriam" as well. The pope insisted on
water. The answer was included in the Liber Extra (Migne, Patrologia
Latina 215, 812 Nr. 5 = Potthast 2696; X 3. 42.  5)

regards, h.w.

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]

to: [log in to unmask]