I saw that programme too, and Lord Bragg's commentary was rather confusing! As has already been stated, the prohibition on possession and translation of the Bible in England arises largely from the production of the versions of the Wycliffite Bible at the end of the fourteenth century.

The most definitive prohibitions came in the 'Constitutions' of Archbishop Arundel, promulgated in 1407 and issued 2 years later. Article 7 (in Foxe's translation) declares: 'It is a dangerous thing, as witnesseth blessed St. Jerome, to translate the text of the holy Scripture out of the tongue into another; for in the translation the same sense is not always easily kept... we therefore decree and ordain, that no man, hereafter, by his own authority translate any text of the Scripture into English or any other tongue'. The Constitutions banned not only translations of the scriptures, but production of any new book or writing whatsoever; Article 6 declares 'we will and command that no book or treatise made by John Wickliff, or others, whomsoever, about that time, or since, or hereafter to be made'. A Catholic myself, I'd have to agree with Nicholas Watson in calling this legislation 'one of the most draconian pieces of censorship in English history, going far beyond its ostensible aim of destroying the Lollard heresy and effectively attempting to curtail all sorts of theological thinking and writing in the vernacular'.

Good reading on the 'Constitutions' and related translation issues includes:

Nicholas Watson, 'Censorship and Cultureal Change in Late-Medieval England: Vernacular Theology, the Oxford Translation Debate, and Arundel's Constitutions of 1409', Speculum, Volume 70, Issue 4 (Oct. 1995), pp. 822-864 [available on-line at http://www.jstor.ac.uk/]

Anne Hudson, 'Lollardy: The English Heresy?', in Lollards and their Books, (London, 1985).

Anne Hudson, The Premature Reformation: Wycliffite Texts and Lollard History, (Oxford, 1988).

Rita Copeland, Rhetoric, Hermeneutics, and Translation in the Middle Ages: Academic Traditions and Vernacular Texts, (Cambridge 1991).

Kantik Ghosh 'John Wyclif and the truth of sacred scripture' in The Wycliffite Heresy - Authority and the Interpretation of Texts, (Cambridge, 2002).

David Lawton, 'Englishing the Bible, 1066-1549', in The Cambridge History of Medieval English Literature, (ed.) David Wallace, (Cambridge, 1999).

G. Shepherd 'English Versions of the Scriptures before Wyclif', and H. Hargreaves, 'The Wycliffite Versions', in The Cambridge History of the Bible, Volume 2, (Cambridge, 1969).

Annie Sutherland, Biblical citation and its affective contextualisation in some English mystical texts of the fourteenth century, (Oxford, D.Phil thesis, 1999).

Wogan-Browne, Watson, Taylor, & Evans (eds.), The Idea of the Vernacular, (Exeter, 1999).

Hope this helps! Best wishes,

Johan

---
Mr. Johan Bergstrom-Allen, BA (York), M.Phil (Oxon)
Flat 2, 74 Walmgate,
York, YO1 9TL, U.K.