Dear Thomas,

What I'm going to say is just a hunch. But have you got any other source
which confirms that the hand 'really' belongs to that illustration?  I think
it is too different from the other hands in the picture, and I've noticed
that generally hands are long and fine in medieval illustrations whereas
this one is rather chubby.  Is it possible that the hand has been added?

Best,
Christina

>         This morning I made a presentation on the third church at Cluny to
> my medieval monastic history course. One of the slides shown was the
> miniature of Urban II blessing the high altar. A student noticed a small
> hand on the tower and asked its meaning or significance. Though I have
> looked at that illustration many times, I had never before noticed this
> hand. My first thought was that it was "the hand of God" blessing the
church
> as well but this solution to the question is probably wrong--the hand is
in
> the wrong place and has the digits pointing upwards.
>         Any help in the matter would be appreciated.
> Thomas Sullivan, OSB

http://www.lucifuge.de/grafik/religio/bernhard/bh_cluny.jpg

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]