As in most cases, the issue has nuances.

In the section on "The Wycliffite Versions" in The Cambridge History of the Bible, vol. 2, Henry Hargreaves writes,  "But despite such general objections [to the use of vernacular scriptures], no universal and absolute prohibition of the translation of the Scriptures into the vernacular nor of the use of such translations by clergy and laity was ever issued by any council of the Church or by any pope. ... On the other hand, those responsible for the day-to-day administration of the Church, particularly those responsible for the extirpation of heresy, diocesan bishops, papal commissioners and inquisitors, all seem to have worked on the principle that possession of vernacular Scriptures was in itself sufficient evidence to warrant the presumption of heresy." (pp. 391-2)

Steve Fanning