Dear List (with apologies for crosspostings),

I just collected a set of research proposals from undergraduates. Three of
them seem intriguing to me, but I don’t know where to point the students for
publications on the topics. I’m interested in DS perspective material, of
course, not medical treatises. The three are:

1) Fatigue or fatiguability as impairment. Susan Wendell’s Rejected Body is
one good source. Are there others?

2) The relations between nondisabled parents and disabled children. I’m
reluctant to simply turn the poor fellow loose on all of the parent-written
material about disabled kids. Does anyone know of anything interesting
written about the relationship? (We’ve read Jim Sinclair’s “Don’t Mourn”
which brought up the subject.)

3) A diagnosis of terminal illness. Any sophisticated discussions that show
the similarities between the stigmas of disability and those that are
experienced by a terminal diagnosee? (We’ve discussed the death/disability
alignment in general, but not the specific social situation of someone who
has a terminal diagnosis. And frankly, I realized that my own discussion of
the death/disability alignment tended to further stigmatize terminal
diagnosees.)

Thanks for any help.

Ron

Ron Amundson