We are all so concerned with not seeming to be bought aren't we; but would
any of us really ponder so long and hard on whether it is right or wrong for
us to be paid for the time we spend researching.

Another thought - we all think it is, not only right but probably
unproblematic to reimburse people for wage losses because they spend time
away from work contributing to our research. At the same time we seem to
expect people, who are not employed in the meaning that they get a salary
for working, to devote time to our things and be happy just to have
something to do.

Isn't this to reinforce the notion that only paid employment is considered
valuable work?

Since disabled people are marginalised in the labour market (mainly through
discrimination) are we not exploiting the results of a discriminatory
system?

Things never are quite easy are they?

Susanne

Susanne Berg         Institute on Independent Living
project coordinator      www.independentliving.org

Luntmakargatan 86 A
113 51 Stockholm
Sweden