Hello All,
at the last SIG meeting a couple of people expressed interest in a full
listing of all the differences between the IMS Learning Resource Meta-data
1.2.2 Spec and IEEE LOM. Here's part of the answer.

http://ltsc.ieee.org/doc/wg12/LOMChangesSummary_2.pdf conatins a summary of
the changes from Draft 6.1 of the LOM (the version used as a basis for IMS
Meta-data) to 6.4 (the version which was approved as the standard).

Note 1: IMS made some modifications to LOM draft 6.1, these are documented
in section 2.2 of the IMS information model, but to save you looking them
up, here's a summary:
Nr    LOM 6.1       IMS 1.2.2
1.6   keywords      keyword
4.4   requirements  requirement
9.4   keywords      keyword
These changes were all adopted by the LOM, and so even though they are
shown as differences between LOM 6.1 and LOM 6.4, they are not differences
between IMS meta-data and LOM 6.4.

Note 2: I think there are some changes which are missing from the IEEE document
1) The vocabulary type in IMS meta-data comprised  source and value
elements which were LangStrings, in the LOM they became CharacterStrings
(so no need to give a language for vocabulary items)

2) Some other LangStrings became CharacterStrings, namely the entry part of
a IMS CatalogEntry / LOM identifier (elements IMS 1.3.1 / LOM 1.1.2 and IMS
3.2.2 / LOM 3.1.2, IMS 7.2.3.1 / LOM 7.2.1.2);

3) The educational element (nr 5) changed from being single instance to
having a smallest permitted maximum of 100.

Also, strings became CharacterStrings: I don't think this is a significant
change, but if anyone knows otherwise please pipe up.

If you spot any other changes that aren't documented (or if you find where
the changes in note 2 are) please let me know.

Best regards,  Phil.

--
Phil Barker                            Learning Technology Adviser
      ICBL, School of Mathematical and Computer Sciences