On Wed, 2 Apr 2003, Lorna M. Campbell wrote:

> Thanks for circulating this profile.  It's very useful to see how you've
> built on the UKCMF, very impressive.  In fact I think it would be very
> useful to include some of your implementation notes in the next general
> draft of the UKCMF we release.  Any objections?

Sure...

> A note for those of you that are implementing the UKCMF within the X4L
> Programme....while we will continue to update the UKCMF we will not be
> changing our recommendations as to which elements are mandatory and
> which are optional so the application profile will remain stable.

Lorna,
the RDN/LTSN profile was intended to be compliant with the UKCMF (apart
from the absense of metametadata, which I plan to add in the near future).
It was also intended to be in line with the advice that you are issuing to
X4L - but it is certainly possible that I've overlooked stuff!

(Aside... it is quite difficult at the moment to separate out the UKCMF
from the X4L guidelines because they both appear in the same document.  It
would be very helpful (at least to me) to separate these two things into
two separate documents.)

I'll try and re-check the RDN/LTSN app profile against your X4L guidelines
to make sure that there are no significant problems - but if you've
spotted anything that I've got badly wrong, please shout, either on or off
list.  I certainly wouldn't want any major incompatabilities between what
the RDN/LTSN and the L&T portal are doing and what X4L projects are doing.

Thanks,

Andy
--
Distributed Systems, UKOLN, University of Bath, Bath, BA2 7AY, UK
http://www.ukoln.ac.uk/ukoln/staff/a.powell       +44 1225 383933