The narrowness of Eve's experience makes it difficult distinguish what she remembers from what Satan observes, but the dream itself--as recounted to Adam--clearly trades on what she will find familiar and explicitly works on her fancy. The voice she hears not only sounds like Adam, but paraphrases a number of thinks he has previously said.

But of offense and trouble, which my mind
Knew never till this irksom night; methought [ 35 ]
Close at mine ear one call'd me forth to walk
With gentle voice, I thought it thine; it said,
Why sleepst thou Eve? now is the pleasant time,
The cool, the silent, save where silence yields
To the
night-warbling Bird, that now awake [ 40 ]
Tunes sweetest his love-labor'd song; now reignes
Full Orb'd the Moon, and with more pleasing light
Shadowie sets off the face of things;
in vain,
If none regard; Heav'n wakes with all his eyes,
Whom to behold but thee, Natures desire, [ 45 ]
In whose sight all things joy, with ravishment
Attracted by thy beauty still to gaze.
I rose as at thy call, but found thee not;
To find thee I directed then my walk;
And on, methought, alone I pass'd through ways [ 50 ]
That brought me on a sudden to the Tree
Of interdicted Knowledge: fair it seem'd,
Much fairer to my Fancie then by day:

Marshall Grossman
Professor
Department of English